Wednesday, September 9, 2009

It's Always Sunny In Sweden

Today's Wednesday. And apparently Wednesday is a celebratory day in Sweden--the pubs on campus, people are socializing and having a good time. Back home, the only good thing to look forward to on Wednesday's was ABC's LOST. What a culture shock for me.. But enough of that; let's talk about how much of a crap day yesterday was, shall we?

I didn't have class yesterday, so I thought it was going to be a great day. Yeah, optimistic thinking has never worked in my favor, so why should that change just because I study on a different continent? So I woke up at 10:15 a.m., took a shower, and sat down and watched a couple of episodes of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia on my computer (by the way, check the show out. Awesome, awesome show). Noon arrives, so I take my laundry to the laundry room to get 'em done. I throw them in the washing machine, and leave to make lunch and start reading my Marketing textbook. 1 o'clock rolls around, and I go back to the laundry room to throw the clothes in the dryer. But to my surprise, I was locked out of the laundry room. Here, you use an electronic key to reserve a time to do laundry, and the laundry room remains locked except for the user who has the current time slot. It was my time slot, and the key wouldn't work. So I had to sit outside the laundry room with my text book and wait for the next user who signed up to use the machines--which was at 2:30 (and this was at 1:00). 3 o'clock rolls around, no one has shown up, so I had to ask one of the housing workers, who conveniently showed up to the complex due to my corridor mate being locked out of her room. 3:30 shows up, and I finally get to take my clothes out of the washer. Laundry took me over four hours to complete. (Note: reason #2 why guys shouldn't do laundry). (Bad event #1)

My laundry was finally done, so I decide to go to the gym with Tommy. Rachel couldn't go due to a housing meeting, and Madison was sick, so it was just the guys. We went to Bodycombat again (Bad event #2). I mean, sure, it's a great thing when it's over; you really feel like you accomplished something. The actual working out at the class can definitely be considered "bad".

After the class was over, I changed in the locker room, and what do I discover? My phone, my brand new phone, was broken. How, you might ask? Your guess is as good as mine. All I know is my week and a half old phone was broken, which meant I had to get up today early (10:30.. I know, I know. How was I able to get up so early? The answer eludes me) to head into town to get a new phone. (Bad event #3).

Luckily, today was much better. I had no class today, so I went to the library with Tommy and fika (minus the coffee... had Coke Light instead). Then we headed into town at 6 to see District 9 at the movie theater.. great movie. When the aliens spoke, it was only subtitled in Swedish. But to my surprise, I understood everything they said, and actually tried to help translate for others in our group who couldn't read Swedish. Made me feel somewhat confident in my skills; perhaps Intermediate Swedish won't be so bad?

Yeah, I know what you're thinking: optimistic thinking doesn't bode well for you, Jordan. Should be interesting.

(My poor phone. It joins my shirt as things that don't see the destructive ways of Jordan coming at them)

No comments:

Post a Comment