Monday, August 17, 2009

Dag Nummer Ett... I USA

Blogging has been around since the beginning of the Internet. And I'm sure that people care about blogs now just as much as they did back then--not a whole lot. Yet here I am, beginning a blog of my own to share experiences with people who really couldn't care less.

The purpose here is to share photos and experiences of my time abroad with family and friends. And, knowing me, I'm sure everyday I'll find some way to make myself look like an idiot in public, which I am sure people reading (which, again, is probably a small amount) get a kick out of. Plus, it's cooler to upload pictures on to this baby than on Facebook.. once I figure it out.

Today is Monday the 17th, meaning that a week from now I'll be sitting on an airplane. Make that two airplanes. And add a train. Yeah, a 13+ hour plane ride followed by a 3 hour train ride sounds exhilarating, I know. Believe me, I know. Add to that, Sweden's time zone is 7 hours ahead of the States. I have a feeling that I'll be somewhat sleepy and jet-lagged by the time I reach my dorm/place of residence--which, by the way, I would like to point out that I have absolutely no idea where I'll be living... or if I even have a spot reserved by the University. Ah, the joys of uncertainty. Anyway, I'm still excited to be leaving, but it hasn't quite hit me that I leave so soon.

So, with a week away from the big departure, you might be wondering what I'm doing to prepare? The answer: absolutely nothing. Scratch that. I am currently putting my DVD collection onto my external hard drives for my laptop. I have a feeling I'll be wanting to watch a few of them over there, so it's important to come prepared. But aside from that, I haven't been doing anything else. Everyday I walk past the empty, open suitcases laying by my bedroom door and sit down and watch tv in the living room. Packing early is not something to which I am accustomed. But I'm sure once Saturday night rolls around, I'll be frantically dashing around the house looking for a sweatshirt or sweatpants that need to go in those open suitcases. But until then...I'll be savoring the last few bits of American television I can watch.

Tomorrow is the big day in Brainerd. Getting contacts at Wal-Mart (I know, I know.. I have class), and looking for power converters and electrical outlet converters (thanks again Lane! I just don't think one will be enough). I'm sure Kay will be more responsible on getting the things I actually need--thank god I'm taking her with tomorrow.




Alright, alright. So I did pull these bad boys out from the closet to start preparing for the trip. I really would prefer not to sound like a mumbling idiot when I get to Sweden. I'll probably crack them open again... at some point in the next week.

2 comments:

  1. Muah ha ha ha...you have been inducted into the hall of bloggers...(evil laugh)

    And I will read your blog religiously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, it made me be anonymous. You better fix this...

    P.S. It's Alaina.

    ReplyDelete